Happy Friday, FAMily.
Today our hearts are still heavy after yet another mass shooting in a school in Parkdale, FL. We turn our actions to those families and the families of future victims if we continue to do nothing.
1. Call Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and ask them how many more children have to die before they will lead their pro life party to any sort of sensible reform on gun ownership. Ask them about The UK, Germany, Australia and Japan (see comments for literature on their approaches to gun violence). Ask them why they continue to take money from the NRA. And tell them you won’t stop until they’re voted OUT.
2. If you can, donate to Everytown for Gun Safety or Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. They work tirelessly to organize, educate and impact gun violence and legislation across the country. If you can’t donate, consider following them on social media and reposting/retweeting/reblogging their posts to raise awareness.
3. Consider making a donation to the National Association of Social Workers. Social Workers and counselors will be on the front lines of dealing with the trauma people have experienced and need our support. There are more victims than just the ones who lost their lives.
4. Compassion fatigue and secondary trauma are real. They happen when support people start to feel the impact of the trauma of those they are supporting. This could be in the form of depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, panic attacks, sadness etc. If you’re feeling this way, please reach out to get some professional help. We need you here with us and healthy.
5. While you’re at it–call congress and let them know that this disgusting shooting will be a force in our movement, but it will NOT distract us from the other atrocities of this administration. We still need a clean dream act. Let them know you expect it to be prioritized along with gun violence legislation.
As always, we’re happy and proud of you and are a place for everyone to be heard, respected, and protected.
Jen, Anne, and Anne